Students and staff at Swindon Academy are celebrating another very strong set of GCSE results. Results were strong on the combined English and maths measure, with 66% of students achieving a 4 or above in both subjects. Almost half of students (49%) also achieved at least a 5 in both English and maths, a significant increase on last year's figure.
In addition, 64% of students achieved five or more 9-4/A*-C grades including English and maths, under this year's new GCSE grading structure.
Students performed well at all levels. There were notable individual successes, including:
- Matt Ottley who achieved four grade 9s and four grade 8s
- Charlie Scoble who achieved three grade 9s, three grade 8s and two grade 7s
- Shannon Demelo who achieved one grade 9, one grade 8 and six grade 7s
- Shauna Gallagher who achieved eight grade 8s and one grade 7
- Nomsa Chabata who achieved three grade 8s and three grade 7s
Ruth Robinson, Principal of Swindon Academy, said:
"We are delighted to see another strong set of GCSEs today for our academy's students, reflecting their considerable efforts, dedication and drive over the past two years. These achievements are well-deserved and will provide firm foundations, particularly in the core subjects of English and maths, as students continue their studies at our Sixth Form.
"I would also like to give a special mention to our staff team, who work extremely hard each year to ensure that each and every student is able to achieve their best. These results would not be possible without their support, or that of our parents and wider school community."