The Swindon Academy vision states ‘Business, Enterprise and Employability at Swindon Academy encourages all young people to learn and develop in a way that meets their needs and develops skills for learning skills, for life and skills for work’. In order to achieve this we offer an extensive Careers Programme which allows students to explore, understand and encounter a range of industries and potential careers paths.
All advice we provide students with is impartial and in their best interests. The programme is overseen by the SLT Careers Lead, Nick Warren and implemented by the Careers Coordinator, Jessica Cook.
The Careers Programme has the approval of the board of governors, is backed by the senior leadership team and is reviewed termly to ensure its efficiency.
The Careers Programme has been written in line with the Government’s Gatsby Benchmarks and takes into consideration the ongoing work and research completed by SWLEP.
The Careers Programme aims to;
- Inspire and raise the aspirations of all students at Swindon Academy
- Provide students with up to date industry information and allow them to explore sectors based upon their strengths, interests and skillsets
- Give each student the opportunity to experience one meaningful business encounter each year they are in education with us
- By the end of Year 11, all students will have had workplace experience within at least one business and have met with a Careers Advisor
- Allow students to make informed decisions about the next stage of their career paths by giving them all the options available and ensuring they have the time to think about, question and consider each pathway
Click on the links below to see the Career Programme for each year group.
Year 6 Careers Programme
Year 7 Careers Programme
Year 8 Careers Programme
Year 9 Careers Programme
Year 10 Careers Programme
Year 11 Careers Programme
Sixth Form Careers Programme
How do we ensure our Careers Programme is effective?
Students, staff and local employers are asked to review each event they attend as part of Swindon Academy’s Career Programme. This allows us to see whether or not the event was beneficial; if students would recommend it to future year groups and how all parties feel the events could be improved. All statistics are discussed termly at Senior Leadership Meetings and reviewed to ensure each event is meaningful, effective and purposeful. Swindon Academy reviews its careers programme every September, unless further revisions are necessary mid-year.
By using the Careers Menu above, you can click each Year Group to find out more about what Careers related activities we have in place year by year.
During term 2 of academic year 2018/19, all students in Years 7-9 took part in a student survey to assess the effectiveness of our current careers programme. One of our key career aims is for students to go on to study their chosen discipline at Level 4 to enable them access to higher level job roles in the future. The results of this survey are really positive in indicating that our lower year groups are already considering this as a realistic and achievable aim. In addition to this, they understand the importance of their attendance and work ethic in line with their aim to attend university in the future. Please click here to see the full range of data collected in a poster format.