Teaching Career Pathway
Students need to pick a minimum of one core subject from the list below.
- Pure Maths
- English Language
- English Literature
Students need to study 3 subjects in total, so they will need to top up their core subjects with complementary subjects. For example, if a student selects 2 core subjects, they will need to select 1 or more complementary subjects to study.
- Further Maths
- Introduction to Teaching and Education Course - provided by Swindon Academy staff, the course will cover topics such as, behaviour management, safeguarding, teaching and learning theory, special educational needs and much more.
- Peer Training Course to enable you to support and mentor younger students.
- GRIT Mentors - supporting other students to become more resilient and to improve their self-esteem and sense of belonging.
- Literacy Support Training to enable student to provide 1-2-1 literacy support and become a reading buddy.
- Work Experience - a couple of hours each week working in our nursery, primary or secondary school as an assistant TA.
- Leadership Opportunities – work with younger students – for example supporting and running after-school clubs.
- Becoming a Teacher Open University Course - Take your first steps towards teaching with this practical course exploring the basics of what it means to become a teacher.
- Possibility of Paid Work being a Mid-Day Assistant with lower year groups.
- Extended Project Qualification – We highly recommend that students on the Teaching Pathway take the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ). The EPQ is a standalone qualification designed to extend and develop students’ skills in independent research and project management. The EPQ is awarded UCAS points worth half an A-Level and is recognised by universities and employers. Some leading universities, such as Southampton University, make alternative offers to students undertaking an EPQ. The EPQ requires students to carry out research on a topic that they have chosen and is not covered by other qualifications. They then use this research to produce a written report. The EPQ must have a focus on education.
If you have any questions about the Pathways, please contact Mrs Dodsworth via email at: Laura.Dodsworth@swindon-academy.org to arrange a time for a conversation.