Volunteer Driver Job Description
Job Title: Volunteer Driver
Job Purpose: To drive academy transport to enable regular extra-curricular activities, partnerships activities with Marlborough College, community education and educational visits to take place for students, staff and community stakeholders where required. There may be opportunities to volunteer during the school holidays.
Reports To: Buildings & Facilities Manager
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. To assist with the transportation of students, staff and members of our community between our school sites and when on trips.
2. To perform regular vehicle checks of the school fleet prior to driving to ensure safety.
3. Ensuring that appropriate levels of confidentiality and safety are maintained in all areas of work.
4. Any other duties commensurate with the role.
Supervision and training will be regularly available.
All appropriate expenses incurred as part of related responsibilities may be refunded.
The legal requirements, qualities, experience or knowledge we believe are important for our volunteer driver are:
- Must have at least a D1 entitlement
- To be between the age of 25 and 69 years old
- To hold a clean driving licence including D1 category (PCV would be desirable)
- To attend an awareness course to ensure you are able to drive the vehicle
- To complete a medical and sight test
- Complete a DBS
- To undertaking safeguarding training
- To be able to undertake route planning and map reading
- To have strong communication and advocacy skills
- To be able to get on with young people and children from all backgrounds and in all circumstances in a polite and sensitive way
- To be able to work as part of a team
- To be honest
- To be punctual
- To be able to stay calm in difficult situations
- Have extensive experience of driving within Swindon and surrounding areas
To apply please complete a volunteer application form and return it to Helen.Beardall@swindon-academy.org